Thursday, October 21, 2010

What will my weekend be like? Just so you know, the answer is confusing :(

            So I really do not know what to write about.  Actually now I know what I am going to write about.  I will write about how I don’t know what to write about.  If that doesn’t make sense now it might just get more confusing (at least it did for me).   As a kid I always had writer’s block.  It took me hours just to think about what to write.  Then it took me the same amount of time and maybe even longer to actually write it.  Luckily my writers block is not as bad as it used to be, but I still get it sometimes.  It doesn’t help when you sort of don’t even know what you are writing about.   
           I kind of feel this way about the English paper.  I chose the third option that asks how it is possible for people to be forgiven for their sins. My original thesis (word for word was “In puritanical society, one is never completely forgiven for committing a sin; some puritans are aware of this and do not even attempt to be forgiven, while others struggle unsuccessfully to be pardoned.”  On the day that the thesis statement was due I asked Mr. Bresnick if he was going to check it. As a result I got a (probably deserved) “what are you thinking” type of look from Michelle Cueroni.  I ended up staying after class anyway to get my thesis checked. Mr. Bresnick said ya this is a great thesis; maybe just add a little bit to it.  Add a little bit?  I wish that’s what I had to do. 
I guess the rules of a thesis statement change from day to day (or Mr. Bresnick just forgot what he said the day before).  So the next day when we actually went over the thesis statements in class, everything that could possibly be wrong about my thesis statement was wrong. On this day it wasn’t disputable, specific, clear significant, or detailed.  So I kept making changes to the thesis to try and make it all five of these things.  As I kept restructuring the thesis I kept getting farther away from what I was arguing.  In one day I went from having a great thesis that needed a few additions to no thesis at all right now.  I will have a fun time trying to finish this essay, reading, and doing all my other homework (which includes a History research paper and a Math project) over the weekend.  Let’s look on the bright side; at least the blog’s done.

1 comment:

  1. Matt- sorry about the confusion with writing thesis statements. In hindsight, that does sound like a good thesis statement from where I am sitting right now. As a teacher I sometimes get caught up in trying to prod students to just do and be more. In defense of my teaching, I bet you learned a great deal about creating thesis statements by reworking your a few different times and ways. The best way to cure writer's block is to practice; such is the case with writing thesis statements. Practice makes it easeier to create better thesis statements.

    ReplyDelete