Friday, October 8, 2010

Killer Controversy

I feel that killing is wrong.  There is an example of a way in my mind that killing could be justified.  Self defense is the example I am thinking of.  Revenge is not a reason to kill people either, even if a loved one was killed by this person.  As Gandhi once said, “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”  My hatred of killing is probably what makes me so upset with the United States government about getting into the war in Iraq.  I feel that people should be treated fairly and equally even if they are different than others.  They especially should not be killed for it.
There are many controversial situations where people are treated unfairly.  I feel that people should be able to immigrate from Mexico and other places without a problem.  I also feel that if immigrants were able to make it here (legally or illegally) they should be able to stay.  Many people think that illegal immigrants take away American jobs however people think wrong.  Illegal immigrants do jobs that people don’t want to take.  People also are mistaking when they say that illegal immigrants raise the crime rate in the country.  Not counting the crime of being in the country illegally, these immigrants are more likely to be more careful about what they do and are less likely to commit crimes.  It is also a common misconception that illegal immigrants don’t pay taxes.  All of these things are wrong about illegal immigrants. Another thing that is wrong is that they can be (and are) deported and even killed just because they are different than other Americans. 
Another controversial topic is homosexuality.  You do not usually hear a lot about homosexuals being killed, however it does happen.  They are still people and should be able to do what they want.  If they are happy with someone of the same sex, so be it. Personal life is called Personal life for a reason.  Why does it matter to so many people if a person is homosexual, it’s their life not yours.  The fact of the matter is that homosexual people are killed for a choice that they make.  An example of this is Matthew Shepard being killed because he was gay.   I think it is a good thing that the school is doing The Laramie Project even though it is controversial.  What happened to Shepard was not okay, however some people think it was.  I know that people are protesting The Laramie Project being put on at FHS, but I think it needs to go on.  I forget the date and time of the show, but I will definitely go.

3 comments:

  1. I'm deffinately with you on the whole killing is wrong thing, I think most people can agree with that. And I'm glad you want to come see the show! The dates are December 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that if someone or a group of people attacked my home and family, then I would definitely fight back in anyways possible even if it means war. I think that the U.S. definitely made the right choice in going to war to defend themselves because what else were they going to do? Let them attack us and arrest the few men that kill hundreds? The us had to strike them where they come from in order to prevent an attack in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel i know exactly what you mean (and agree with it), except George Bush sent troops into Iraq before 9/11 to try and help the rest of Iraq defend itself. I understand that he was trying to save Iraqie lives, however it got us involved with something we should not be involved in and many of our people died as a result of this.

    ReplyDelete