Thursday, September 23, 2010

Matt "The Situation"

Reading back through both acts 1 and 2 in The Crucible I feel that one of the most important parts is the relationship between John and Elizabeth Proctor.  I know there are a lot more important parts of the story, but I just keep coming back to this one.  When I was doing the 5 themes homework I asked myself a question.  Why do I have only one theme that can possibly be related to Parris (who I thought was the protagonist at the time) and three (I probably could have thought of more) that relate to the situation between John, Elizabeth, and Abigail? 
          I feel that it is wrong to cheat on a boyfriend or girlfriend.  I also know it can possibly be hard not to want to be with another person while you are with someone else.  I was put in a really awkward situation when I got a girlfriend at camp this summer.  There was one girl who I liked at camp.  I liked her, but I didn’t know how to go about asking her out.  One night a kid who I considered to be my best friend at the camp and one of the girls there hooked me up with a girl who I hadn’t met before (even though we were both there for 4 weeks before) and who I actually started to really like.  She was my first ever girlfriend.  Maybe ten minutes after I got hooked up with this girl, two other girls came up to me and told me that there was a girl that really liked me and they tried to force me to ask her out.  This person who really liked me just happened to be the girl who helped hook me up with my girlfriend.  The girl who liked me was a pretty good friend and we joked around all the time that we were brother and sister because we have the same last name.  I never knew that she liked me and I feel bad that I found out right after she hooked me up with another girl.  I could have just asked her out, or found a way to ask out the girl I liked from the beginning of camp, but the best option (and the one I picked) was to just stay with my girlfriend.  After camp the long-distance relationship ended up not working out.  I hate guys who break up with their girlfriend over text, but I had no other choice but to be that guy.  However the point is at camp I made the decision that I would not leave my girlfriend for someone else.
It is especially wrong if you marry that person and then you decide to cheat on them.  The whole point of a marriage is supposedly you want to be with this person for life.  If you are married and cheating then you don’t really want to be with the person you married, so why did you get married in the first place? I know that Adultery is a sin but John Proctor didn’t. Could that be considered both situational and dramatic irony?  I feel that it is definitely wrong, but I don’t believe in sins or anything remotely having to do with religion.  I’m not Atheist, because I believe God could possibly exist, but I don’t practice any religion.   

3 comments:

  1. Yeah Matt cheating is wrong. I can only imagine how bad it is to be cheated on. It must be awful. You made a good decision at camp, by not getting peer pressured into doing what your friends wanted you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt i agree there is nothing right about cheating and there is no good excuse for it either. You made the right decision at camp, it may have been hard but you knew it was the right thing to do. Like you said breaking up through texts is wrong, but you do what you gotta do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Matt. However, breaking up over a text is not okay! Nor is an email! The right thing to do is to at least have a live conversation, which is more difficult, certainly, but it's the right thing to do. Ask yourself what John Proctor would have done- he didn't even know what a text message was!!

    ReplyDelete