Friday, September 17, 2010

School's open for Busyness

Mr. Bresnick was not the only teacher to talk about the open house in class today.  There is something that makes this year’s open house different for me than past years.  I can actually say that I went to my own open house.  Now that I think about it, I believe elementary school open houses allowed the students to go, but the difference this year was that I did not go for myself.  I did not go to any of my classes.  I did not even go to where I was signed up to go.  This year I went for the parents and for the school. 
I volunteered after school on Thursday to help out in the hallways to show parents where to go.  Out of the places that were available to sign up for I for some reason decided to pick where E and C hall connect (also called the T).  At 6:30 when I got to school to help out I didn’t know where exactly I should go.  One of the first people I saw was Mr. Welch, and I thought he would know what I should do.  I asked him where I should go, and he had other plans for me.  He told me I would help out with the PTBO.  My first job was to help bring things in from outside.  The best part about it was that it was pouring rain outside, so I was soaking wet after I got back inside (sarcastic). 
Next I had to make sure it was okay with Mrs. Colella that I do the PTBO instead of Hall duty.  By mistake I end up going to the wrong room. Situational irony because at first I signed up to tell people where to go.  Guess which room I went to? The answer is my sister’s homeroom, and of course both of my parents were in there.  Besides being kind of awkward, that was another example of situational irony because I didn’t expect to see my parents at all at open house and I end up almost walking into a room that they are both in.  Finally I make it to the correct room (only one room over), and it was okay with Mrs. Colella that I did the PTBO job.  That job was to sell things in the cafeteria.  While there I also helped parents find where to go.  I saw many parents I knew walking through the cafeteria including my parents multiple times.  I also sold a good amount of items for the PTBO and I feel that overall it was a good experience.

4 comments:

  1. Matt that must have been a really bad night. Out in the pouring rain carrying stuff and staying at the school until after 7:00, I feel really bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Matt that was pretty bad. My mom made me go so that she doesnt get lost. It was raining pretty hard that night. A lot of people showed up, which I'm guessing caused people to get home pretty late. My last teacher let us leave early so that we dont get stuck in traffic so I was pretty lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't care about how late it was, the rain was bad though.

    I mean if i didn't want to do this i didn't have to volunteer. I chose to do it since it would help out the school.

    Alex, I don't feel that it was a very bad night. It was a busy day between school, my sister's soccer game, and this, but in this case busy isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt- thanks for helping out to make Parents' Night a great success. Without the service of students like yourself, a great deal of events that we take for granted at the school would not be possible.

    ReplyDelete